Skip to main content

Open 06:30 AM to 07:00 PM

203-213 Cox’s road,
North Ryde NSW 2113

History

THE HISTORY OF COX’S ROAD MALL

WHERE IT ALL BEGAN…………

 In 1956 local residents Angelo Mesiti and his future brother-in-law Sam Bietola purchased the modest shop, called Horton’s General Store, from George Horton, who had in turn purchased it from Charlie Whitfield in 1939.  Sam was engaged to be married to Angelo’s sister Mary. Sam and Angelo were both 22 years of age.

The Bietola and Mesiti families are well known in the district as early Italian migrant pioneers operators of market gardens in North Ryde and Ryde. The two families migrated to Sydney, independently, from the small town of San Giovanni di Gerace, Province of Reggio Calabria, in the early 1920s in search of ‘a better life’.

At the time Sam and Angelo purchased the old Horton’s General Store, the landscape of the Ryde district was still chequered by orchards, vineyards, poultry farms and Italian market gardens. 

Sam and Angelo were simultaneously operating a fruit shop in Eastwood at the time, which in 1962 was sold, enabling Sam, Mary and Angelo to more easily run the new fish shop and delicatessen at Coxs Road.

New additions

With the assistance of an architect from Eastwood, by the name of Summerhayes, Angelo and Sam developed their Coxs Road shop into a small multi-business complex, which in 1958 saw the opening of six new shops. These included a pharmacy, a supermarket, butcher, Laurie Schneider Hardware, and George and Alan Booth’s cake shop, while Sam and Angelo ran the fruit shop for a short time, with Mary Bietola and Mrs Edwards assisting.

These additions proved successful and in 1960 Sam and Angelo proceeded to buy the property next door, a home owned by Mrs Maroney. This enabled them to extend the complex with five more shops, resulting into 11 businesses. These were a fish shop and a delicatessen run by Sam and Angelo, Bill Brillante’s Hairdresser, boot-maker Tony Marcellino, and a combined milk bar/

insisted on by Mall management, serving people’s everyday needs as a one-stop convenient shopping centre with free off-street and undercover parking.

The birth of Enrico Bietola Pty Limited   

In 1970, after 14 years in joint venture, Angelo Mesiti decided to sell out of the partnership and pursue other business ventures. Looking for a new partner, Sam approached his brother, Charlie Bietola ,and a new company was born, Enrico Bietola Pty Limited, a two-brother partnership.

Over the years the brothers, with dedication and much hard work, continued to develop, maintain and update the mall until it became what we all know today. Charlie was more of a silent partner, while Sam managed the retail centre and was more hands on. 

Both partners lived in the area, which gave them intimate knowledge of customer needs and feedback. The centre kept expanding and by 1980 was hosting 15 shops and an arcade. The most recent additions included Jewels Grocery, a video shop, Tom’s Milk Bar, a baby-wear shop named Annie-Lea, Carmichael’s Florist, Westpac Bank and a pizza shop.

Cox’s Road Mall’s tenants remained remarkably loyal and stable.

Fire and revamp

In 1990, a series of setbacks was experienced with construction delays, and in 1994 a serious fire kept shoppers away. The mall was rebuilt with improved amenities and, inspired by a shopping mall Sam had seen on a trip to America. The Mall was updated with a new façade modelled on the American design. The centre reopened just in time for Christmas in December 1994, welcoming shoppers old and new to its bright array of refurbished shops. The new façade was officially opened on 19 April 1997. The plaque unveiling ceremony was officiated by former Ryde Mayor Mick Lardelli AM, Gladesville MP John Watkins, and Michael Photios MP.

The centre reopened just in time for Christmas in December 1994, welcoming shoppers old and new to its bright array of refurbished shops. The new façade was officially opened on 19 April 1997. The plaque unveiling ceremony was officiated by former Ryde Mayor Mick Lardelli AM, Gladesville MP John Watkins, and Michael Photios MP

Naming of the Coxs Road Piazza

In 2023 The Bietola family were humbled to have the new piazza (in front of Library) on Coxs Road named Bietola Piazza in recognition of almost 70 years of retail service to the district.

First time acknowledgment to brothers and proprietors of Coxs Road Mall being  Sam and Charlie Bietola. The new piazza was officially named  “Piazza Bietola” by Sarkis Yedelian, Mayor City of Ryde.

 

We remember our founders

Angelo Mesiti passed away in 2005; Sam (Salvatore) Bietola passed away in 2011; Charlie (Carmelo) Bietola passed away in 2008.